This page collects some media appearances, popular articles, and talks.
My literary agent is Antony Topping at Greene and Heaton. For publicity in the US and Canada please contact Brianna Scharfenburg at Simon and Schuster. For UK and all other territories please contact Kate McQuaid at Profile Books.
The Magick of Matter (Dedicated Website)
I have written a book aimed at introducing condensed matter physics to a broad audience. It is written as a manual for wizards. In the UK and overseas (translated into Russian, Chinese, Polish, and Vietnamese) it is published as The Magick of Matter: Crystals, Chaos and the Wizardry of Physics (Profile Books, 2022), and in the US and Canada as The Magick of Physics: Uncovering the Fantastical Phenomena in Everyday Life (Simon and Schuster, 2023).
- Fritjof Capra, author of The Tao of Physics, made a fantastic video reviewing the book (free account required).
- Nature included the book in its five best science picks.
- I did a Reddit AMA.
- KATU-TV Afternoon Live (Portland, OR) (21/3/23)
Radio Appearances and Podcasts
- Into the Impossible (29/5/23)
- New Books Network (2/5/23)
- The Curious Cases of Rutherford and Fry, BBC Radio 4 (17/1/23)
- How To Academy podcast (10/1/23)
- Start the Week, BBC Radio 4 (26/12/22)
- Times Radio interview (19/11/22)
See the Talks tab for a full list.
- The Magic of Physics, The Royal Institution (1/11/22)
- The Physics of Magnetic Monopoles, The Royal Institution (17/2/20)
See the Publications tab for a full list. Here are some articles written for a broad audience (more or less):
- F. Flicker, Why we must inspire people with the magic of condensed matter physics, New Scientist (26/4/23) [paywall]
- Felix Flicker, Understanding the call of the monopole, Science 378, 1177 (2022)
- F. Flicker, How The Mound Got Its Quack, New College Notes 10, 10 (2018)
- F. Flicker, The Weirdness of Time Zones, Physics World vol. 28 no. 6 (June 2015)
- F. Flicker, Quantum Kung Fu, Physics World vol. 27 no. 7 (July 2014)